Thursday, August 12, 2010

Singles Going Single #138 - The Dugans 7" (1994, Paint Chip)

This scrappy lil' quartet made some waves in the Albany, NY area back in the mid-90s, and these two tracks are stirring examples of their distortion-ridden punk pop.  Both songs were committed live to two-track, and boy does it ever sound it.  The Dugans were quite reminiscent of  Mercyland, an unrelated Athens, GA band I dedicated some space to a few years ago.  As for the Dugans themselves, they made at least one compilation appearance that I'm aware of, and a split single with the Young Fresh Fellows. 

A. Suckerpunch
B. Darlene

Hear

9 comments:

Getting Better said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Getting Better said...

I played lead guitar in the Dugans!

We made a 7" single on Kranepool records too: "Whatever" b/w "Juliana's Got It." At least I think that was it... was it?

Verity said...

I remember hearing "Whatever" on John Peel 15 or so years ago (oh how we miss him!) and managed to track down an mp3 recording of it recently. What a great 3 minute burst of pure pop. Brilliant!

spavid said...

Hey Rob. Thanks for checking in. I don't believe I have the "Whatever" 7" but the other one I'm sharing was purchased at Flipped Out Records in Albany. Boy do I ever miss that place.

Getting Better said...

Flipped out Records is still around:

http://www.flippedoutrecords.com/

spavid said...

Virtually I suppose, which is better than nothing.

Getting Better said...

I agree with you. I'll see if I can track down a 'Whatever" 7" and send it along to you.

Scott Wy said...

the Dugans song "whatever" also appeared on one of those great SHREDS comps - Shreds Volume 3 - American Underground '95. a quick google search found a guy who has posted the entire cd - http://is.gd/zMJXRI if anybody is not cool with this info -ie rob from the dugans, i will remove the link. cheers. enjoy this great great song. (and yes "julianas got it" is the flipside to this single)

Anonymous said...

Re-up? Please?