Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Andersons! - Separated at Birth (1998, Lime Vinyl)

The Andersons! brand of linear, yet effective power pop didn't get me particularly jazzed up at the time their debut, Separated at Birth graced my stereo when I was revealed to me it in the early 'aughts, but much like fine wine it's aged well.  For those of ya'll with a weakness for Poptopia/IPO pop n' roll circa the late '90s, or for that matter appreciated the Big Deal Records hit parade from the same era, L.A.'s Andersons! are a no brainer, particularly this disk which is currently out of print.  Bassist/mouthpiece Derrick Anderson (whose surname might be assumed in this instance) was also involved in another band of a similar mold, Chewy Marble.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention that one Robbie Rist (here as "Robbie Anderson") was another integral part of the Andersons roster.  BTW, the backing guest vocalist on "Symbiosis" is none other than the Muffs Kim Shattuck.  Enjoy (or not), but I'm pretty confident you will.

01. In This World
02. The Truth is Out
03. Retro Girl
04. My Life Still Sucks (In a Bad Way)
05. Hey Coelacanth
06. From the Get-Go
07. You'll Get Yours Yet
08. (I'm in Love With A) TV Girl
09. Laid Back and Logical
10. Symbiosis
11. Defensive
12. Bluebird
13. Big Trucks and Old People
14. untitled hidden track

Now available on Amazon Downloads.

2 comments:

Josh said...

I'm liking this.

Radio Nowhere said...

I bought a copy of this recently and really enjoy it. IT's one of my favorite new releases this year.