Thursday, July 1, 2010

Viola Peacock - This Way to the Alley Where They Eat Your Heart ep (1995, Bedazzled)

Viola Peacock were an Ann Arbor, MI trio who were typecast as shoegazers, but beyond the requisite plumes of woozy feedback and gauzy tremolo that typify the genre, they were a pretty damn fine indie rock band at heart.  Like another Michigan outfit from the same era, namely the late, great Majesty Crush, Viola Peacock were equally as concerned with song-structure as atmosphere, if not more so.  An even closer comparison would be Milwaukee's defunct Sometime Sweet Susan, who I profiled a couple years back.  VP also issued a full length, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, which I'll get to at a later date, but for now, soak in this ep.

01. Eating Her Eyes
02. Colder
03. Nothing's Beautiful
04. Giving My Head to Her
05. All Discussions End
06. She Stops the Clocks
07. Postscript: Landscape With Car Crash

Hear

5 comments:

Rex Norris said...

yeah,I've got this CD and thought it pretty good.Didn't really know much about the band...thanks for the info

Rex Norris said...

yeah,I've got this CD and thought it pretty good.Didn't really know much about the band...thanks for the info

Lainagier said...

Thanks for reupping their LP - very much my cup of tea. Can I request a reup of this one to complete the set?

Lainagier said...

Aaand thanks again. I don't (can't) blow you nearly enough sunshine for your dedication to this whole mad project. Blog of the internets. Stunning work. The enjoyment is neverending. Thankyou.

MerelyGifted said...

Thanks so much for these. Marko is a sweet guy and a terrific roommate - he taught me how to make gin and tonics.