Tuesday, July 20, 2010

2 Line Filler - Trash tape (1993)

2 Line Filler (later spelled as Two Line Filler), led by Matt White were a quasi-straightedge hardcore band from Ontario, who over the years evolved their craft into something significantly more melodic.  This transition took place in the mid-90s, not unlike their more celebrated contemporaries Jawbreaker and Lifetime.  One might say TLF's second (and sadly final) album, 1995's Listener, was their equivalent to 24 Hour Revenge Therapy and Hello Bastards. Like those fabled melodi-core touchstones, Listener showcased both a quantum leap in musical development and boasted a bevy of indelibly catchy songs with stirring empathetic overtones.  Prior to Listener was this five song demo, wherein the band began to set the table for their overlooked masterpiece. "Can't Break My Pride" was eventually adapted as "Brake" for the Listener album.  Since the aforementioned LP is still available through all the usual digital outlets, I'm not at liberty to share it, but I did sneak in the reworked version of "Can't Break My Pride" if only for the sake of perspective.  Some more scarce TLF material could appear on these pages sooner than you expect. 

01. Sorry
02. Can't Break My Pride
03. It's Time
04. Leave
05. Theme

plus: Brake (from Listener cd)

Hear

9 comments:

Chris said...

hey thanks, i didn't even know this existed. I found two line filler on the first second nature comp and fell in love with their album . however, none of those tracks ever matched "I'm Just Fine" from a document of nothing but still a great album.

spavid said...

Thanks for commenting. I think I'm going to have to get a hold of that comp.

Josh said...

Wow, good stuff.

Harry Sweeper said...

HOLY FUCK! i have been on a mission to collect everything this band ever recorded. truly one of my favorite bands ever. thanks a ton for posting this.

MJW said...

I have not heard this demo since the time it was released when we were out performing the so few times. I wouldn't mind hearing it again anyone gots a copy?

LP said...

Does anyone have a copy of the The Bittersweet Series, Vol. 3 split with Pezz that they could post. It is literally driving me insane. I have been on a hunt for like ten years for it. I lost mine years back and I have been wanting to hear those tunes again....

Broi!an said...

I believe I have thew Pezz split LP was looking for. Get in touch.

96ataxic said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?32p2putszz1szfs

TLF discography

Unknown said...

We did a new song and more to come......on iTunes and other places. Lyric video on Youtube

Thanks,

Kevin