Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Lienkes - Brothers By Choice (1982, Digi-Comm)

While I may never figure out the correct pronunciation of this presumably L.A.-based set of skinny-tiesters, that's not about to stop me from sharing this.  As The Lienkes album title suggests, there are indeed a band of brothers in this quartet, three sharing the surname Lienke (Roger on guitar and mic, Tom handling bass and vox, and keyboardist Tupper), with drummer Gary Lopac rounding things out.  As for the tunes, how does blue-eyed pub rock strike your fancy?  One listen to the revved up and rollicking Rockpile-esque "My Vexation" and "Nuclear Rage" will give some credibility to that oddball genre-zation.  Side two (tracks 8-13) aren't as peppy, but still rewarding, nipping at the heels of the Style Council, and even flirting with oldies slow dance ballads.  In short, not your average power pop/skinny tie affair.

01. Safety First
02. She's Not Disgusted
03. Ernestine
04. My Vexation
05. Without You
06. Los Angeles
07. Nuclear Rage
08. Looking for Religion
09. Hard Dirt
10. Phantom in the Night
11. Get Even With Your Love
12. Teenager
13. Step By Step

Hear

8 comments:

bglobe313 said...

1. I think it's "lih-necky" and something vaguely in my mind says that is a pop culture reference. Glengarry Glen Rose? I'm not sure.

2. Anyway I will check it out from the intriguing description.

3. Not this listing, but "Under Quabbin" is a great band name.

Ace K.

ch said...

the band is from Oklahoma City-family name is pronounced "link-ee"
Different combinations of members along with the three brothers. One former member is Jim Hoke, a celebrated Nashville musician. Very tight, capable band that were also good friends of my family. We danced to them for years and years....

Unknown said...

These guys are wonderful. I have my vinyl ripped to mp3s now so I can have their music with me wherever I go!

It's been almost 20 years since I saw them in OKC. I sure wish I could see them again...

kurganwins said...

Can u re-post please, I'm always late to the party. And thank you for the awesome obscurities.

Byron Bailey said...

Wow! Just found this link to the Lienkes! We used to hang out at their house in the late sixties, early seventies when they were teenagers and had their own place.

Byron Bailey said...

Wow! Just found this link to the Lienkes! We used to hang out at their house in the late sixties, early seventies when they were teenagers and had their own place.

Unknown said...

hey Willf :)

have you ever managed to get your hands on the other Lienkes LP that's out there? i've tried a couple times on ebay and failed on both tries.

spavid said...

I'm pretty sure I have the second Lienkes record. If so, will try to get up soon.