Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sugarplastic - demo tape (199?)

Almost since Wilfully Obscure's inception, I've gone on and on about one of the finest band's to ever grace the City of Angels, that band being the curiously monikered, slyly XTC-flavored Sugarplastic. With five albums, a 7" box set (Ottawa Bonesaw) and a handful of singles under their collective belt, I thought I had made my Sugarplastic collection complete years ago. Turns out there was a missing piece of the puzzle I had yet to procure. A Sugarplastic "demo tape" made it's way onto Ebay a few weeks ago, and within a few days of making it's way onto my radar the item had been seized by yours truly.

As I may have mentioned in one of previous Sugarplastic posts, the band's first release was in fact the Ottawa Bonesaw box set on Pronto Records. Turns out this was their first official release. The tape in question, coming unadorned with recording details of any sort, includes three songs that would make it onto Bonesaw, the same versions in fact (I'm about 95% sure on this). The real find here is an early version of "The Way This Is," later retooled for their smash-hit Geffen release, Bang, The Earth is Round. The "tape" is a TDK Professional Master Series Sound Master tape, so we're talking some pretty high-falutin' "let's impress the living daylights out of a few potential LA indie clubs that might book us a show or two" stuff going on here. And the rest is history. Maybe I'll get around to sharing the complete Ottawa Bonesaw box one of these days. For now, n-joy.
 
01. Ottawa Bonesaw
02. The Way This Is
03. Brownly Corderoid
04. Debussy and Me
 

5 comments:

colrusfamily said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Any news about this band is painfully slow. Finding undiscovered gems (well, at least one gem) has made my week.

If you EVER stumble across any live stuff, please let me know.

-Bill

Unknown said...

I'll echo/ditto Bill! Hail Sugarplastic, forever!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I just found almost all of their releases on grooveshark.com. Bang is still in my list of top 100 albums of all time.

PiterDeVries55 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.