Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tribe - s/t ep (1987, Rutabaga)

When I saw this at a very inexpensive price in a used bin last year I snatched it up fairly quick, as I recalled seeing a high asking price for it on Ebay. I wasn't sure if Tribes's self titled ep ultimately fetched it's $99 price tag, but I thought I'd try my luck with it. I ended up keeping it off the market (at least for now). When I did some research on this ep today, I discovered that this female fronted Boston quintet would later release three full length records, the second and third of which, (Abort in 1991 and Sleeper in '93) boasted major label backing. On this ostensibly scarce indie release, Tribe are seeped in a decidedly noir-lite mode, with pulsing synths augmenting a crisp, post-punk sound. I hear rumblings of several other period bands on Tribes, ranging from The Passions to Pylon, with the ep culminating in the comparatively melodic "Lemmings." I did my best to clean it up, but alas, there's definitely some vinyl noise cropping up on this one.

01. Abort
02. Pinwheels
03. Vigil
04. Lemmings

Hear

7 comments:

John Mc said...

I had a copy of this one. Great stuff! But another sad story of a band that seemed to implode just as they found success...

tuesdaysaid said...

Just found your site today and am having an amazing time going through the archives here. Tribe was a favorite of mine back in the early 90s and I managed to see them once live in a quite surreal lineup at Cornell University opening for Fishbone and Blue Oyster Cult. It should be pointed out that a good chunk of the band has gone onto a great deal of musical success, but via the video game industry. They were among the original employees at Harmonix, creators of Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

PoodleHead2005 said...

Could you re-up this please? Thanks. :)

spavid said...

The link has been updated.

Johnny said...

Could you re-up this. I'm currently listening to the Tribe album Abort on repeat. Great music. Thanks!

Johnny said...

Thanks for the re-up!

Jack said...

Hello. Could you reupload the link, please? Its expired.