Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Singles Going Single #107 - Dreams So Real "Bearing Witness" 7" (1989)

I've spilled many a word on Dreams So Real, perhaps the second best band to emanate from Athens, GA and hopefully these won't be my last. As some of you might recall, DSR issued a mailorder-only CD of b-sides and outtakes called Nocturnal Omissions in the very early '90s. In fact , it gathered up every stray track left on the cutting room floor...with the exception of one. I'm not sure if it was a licensing issue or what, but the Omissions compilation 'omitted' the b-side to "Bearing Witness" (I believe the second single off of the Rough Night in Jericho album). The song in question was a faithful, (if not a bit rigid) reading of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl." So there you have it, the "lost" Dreams So Real b-side. BTW, the flip is pretty decent too. "Lay me down in the bulrushes..."

A. Bearing Witness (Lay Me Down)
B. Cinnamon Girl

Hear

2 comments:

John Mc said...

Cool. I remember back int eh day I actually had a fan letter returned with a personal hand-written letter by the drummer. Guess they didn't get that much fan mail 20 years ago :)

I do miss their stuff. I have the video for 'here to speak my mind' - I'll have to get that on youtube sometime...

eric said...

Thanks, very happy to have this.

It was at this time last year that Feelin' Kinda Froggy disappeared. I've missed it if he's resurfaced anywhere. Have you heard any news? That guy is seriously missed around here. Between him and your own wonderful spot I thought I might eventually hear every cool tune I'd missed along the way. Certainly hope you're not going anywhere.