Thursday, September 9, 2010

Singles Going Single #142 - Kid Champion 7" (1994, Mint)

Have had this one in my collection for ages, so I'm surprised I haven't posted it sooner.  Anyway, Kid Champion's three-song 7" appears to have been their only commercial release and has the distinction of being one of the earliest endeavors for Vancouver's now fairly renown Mint Records label. 

A Vancouver, co-ed four piece with a female mouthpiece, Kid Champion kept it humble and quintessentially indie, not unlike one of my other favorites from the same era, Belreve.  The downcast lead-off track "Jacklyn and Chantel" boasts a mild dream-pop inflection with sweet, chiming guitars.  "Gigil" is a busy instrumental, and the b-side "Adam's Newts" is all hazy, clangy, and gloriously oblique.  Viva '90s, mid-fidelity indie-pop!

A1. Jaclyn and Chantel
A2. Gigil
B. Adam's Newts

Hear

8 comments:

Marcel Feldmar said...

nice to see these songs up again.. always enjoy your choices. one of these days i will find the time to post again. cheers! and a little more on the kid champion here....

http://justincrash.blogspot.com/2009/04/jaclyn-and-chantel.html

spavid said...

Thanks Justin. I wasn't aware this was being shared elsewhere. You have an interesting blog.

Unknown said...

This is a great little record. I thought I was the only one who still thought of it every once in a while. Do you know what any of Kid Champion people are doing now?

Unknown said...

Oh man.
Dude, do you know how long I've searched for anything on this EP?
Mint Recs doesn't even have anything more than a 'placeholder' for it on their site.
Adam's Newts profoundly rocked my 18-year-old, mix-tape-loving self.
So beautifully un-polished, so gorgeously muddy, such superb indie-ness!
Anyway, you rock!

/ said...

Could you possibly reupload this one?

spavid said...

The link has been updated.

Unknown said...

Me too absolutely!! I’ve made a crappy video of the ep on YouTube as to maybe draw some attention! I’ve had the 7” since it was released more of a lucky gamble purchase wise.. sent cash to mint for the cub hot dog day 7” and figured what the hell: Loved this EP ever since! I’ve tried reaching out to Vancouver peeps on Facebook, but so far nothing... somebody knows for sure lol! We will uncover this phenomenal mystery band haha , keep the hope alive! Viva kid champion!!

Vancouver Music Nerds said...

I know this is a super old post, but I've also been trying to find / listen to this Kid Champion 7". None of the links work anymore. Any chance someone still has these three songs uploaded to share with me.

That would be super fabulous!