Wednesday, August 28, 2013

It disassembles my despair. It never took me anywhere. It never once bought me a drink.

Sandwiching the Weakerthans between Rocket From the Crypt and Iggy & the Stooges was an absurd proposition at Toronto's installment of Riotfest! this past Sunday (yes, I saw the Replacements).  So much so that I relegated their set to background music while I went in pursuit of sustenance (if you must know, I settled on a very week ice cream sundae, after my friend dissuaded me from purchasing something from the token poutine booth).

Call it a delayed reaction, but today I found myself seriously jonesing for tuneage from John K. Sampson & Co.  Never shared anything from them before on these pages, due to the obvious availability of their four albums, but I did have this small assemblage of demos for their third platter, Reconstruction Site.  Typically, a nascent version of my fave RS composition, "One Great City!" is MIA, but that's merely a completist's quibble on my part. The capsule version on the Weakerthans:  In the late '90s, frontman John Sampson took a respite from his former (and ongoing) band Propagandhi, a fierce and resonantly political hardcore troupe from Winnipeg.   A debut album, Fallow, was released in 1999 to widespread acclaim, due greatly in part to Sampson's literate, heart-tugging prose hemmed to a "rootsy-emo" delivery system.  Given Falllows' success, he dismantled himself entirely from the Propaghandi roster, and proceeded to make three additional Weakerthans albums, the most recent being 2007's Reunion Tour.   The band has played periodically ever since, and Mr. Sampson issued a solo album in 2012.  As far as demos go, these are fairly representative of what the final outcome would amount to - the differences are subtle, but there.  Enjoy.

01. Psalm For The Elks Lodge Last Call
02. A New Name For Everything
03. Our Retired Explorer (Dines With Michel Foucault)
04. The Prescience Of Dawn
05. (manifest)
06. Reconstruction Site
07. Surplus Value
08. The Reasons

Hear

20 comments:

MKV said...

How did I miss this show, especially the Sunday line-up...I'm kicking myself right now.

johnnybgoode said...

please please tell us - how was the show? how was iggy? how were the mats???

Unknown said...

I certainly love reading all that is written on your website. I like the way you express your idea and the topic you choose. KEep on your sharing! I appreciate it.
stamina bench

aluminumsiding said...

I love it when things get improved, thanks for putting up a great guide. Hope it will help me out in my future projects siding repair Mississauga

Unknown said...

I think this is one of the most vital information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers corpus christi house painter

Unknown said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. real estate brazil

Unknown said...

I love it when things get improved, thanks for putting up a great guide. Hope it will help me out in my future projects painting contractor corpus christi

Unknown said...

I love it when things get improved, thanks for putting up a great guide. Hope it will help me out in my future projects rehab pasco

Unknown said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. physical therapist pasco

skyparkresidences1 said...

I love it when things get improved, thanks for putting up a great guide. Hope it will help me out in my future projects land for sale brazil

Unknown said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift. rehabilitation pasco

Unknown said...

I like your style of writing, it's very thoughtful.physical therapy pasco

neead32 said...

please please tell us - how was the show? how was iggy? how were the mats??? buy youtube likes

neead46 said...

I am very interested in this field ., Thanks for sharing the information as so with me Troy Bohlke

neead46 said...

Your blog is always informative and this post is no exception. halong bay vietnam

Anonymous said...

I am impressed by the way you covered this topic. It is not often I come across a blog with captivating articles like yours . That was a very helpful piece – thanks! Troy Bohlke

neead46 said...


I never thought about looking at the topic in this way and I thank you for that. Troy Bohlke

Unknown said...

This subject is very stimulating and I thank you for this great post. buy facebook followers

Unknown said...


Your point of view is unique and very astute. Forex FBS

Unknown said...

I find the subject of evolution and creationism to be rather interesting. Contains wonderful and useful messages,Thanks for the nice post.Thanks for the nice post buy facebook subscribers