Saturday, October 30, 2021

Lost Loved Ones - Outcast (1985)

Here's one I was introduced to relatively recently.  Better late than never.  Something akin to a major label miracle, especially given it's era, Lost Loved Ones were an honest to goodness post-punk trio from the UK signed to Epic Records. Outcast, their one-and-done LP wields more street cred and sinewy, noir seasoning than their contemporaries like Sad Lovers and Giants, who to my knowledge never made a break for the big leagues.  Beneath the echoing guitar fanfare and the jagged, icy veneer LLO did in fact bring some accessibility to the table (obviously they had to, considering this record was released by the same label Michael Jackson called home, on the heels of the biggest selling album ever no less, but I digress).  Nonetheless, even Outcasts' most marketable tunes, "Raise the Flag" and "The Dark" never found their way into the hearts and minds of a public all too consumed with Duran Duran and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.  Given the caliber of this record, it's a wonder this band isn't mentioned in the same breath as the Comsat Angels or Killing Joke. There's not much in the way of relevant details to be had on the Loved Ones, nor has this album been digitized, save for the work of some appreciative fans, one of whom I graciously obtained the files from. More than anything I've posted in recent months this platter really deserves a full fledged reissue. In addition to the ten LP tracks I've tacked on a vital b-side, "I Found You," which is veritably more radio-friendly than anything occupying the grooves on Outcast itself.  Enjoy.

01. Raise the Flag
02. Lost Loved Ones
03. Outcast
04. Echos of the Past
05. The Dark
06. Celebrate
07. This Hopeless Pride
08. In Silence
09. The Prospect
10. Freakshow
plus: I Found You

Hear

3 comments:

Josef Kloiber said...

Thank you for this HOT tip.
Was unknown to me.
I love bands like ala Sad Lovers...or Comsat Angels.
GREAT !!!

Indiggy said...

New to me - love this! I hear some Adam & The Ants (especially in the chorus'). Thanks for sharing

D said...

the 80s should never have ended

thanks