Thursday, November 18, 2021

The Slugs - Back to the Playgrounds 7" (1987, Pravda)

"Rock band from Chicago that like The Who a lot," so says the handwritten critique on the back sleeve of my copy of this rather white hot 45. Recorded in front of a live audience at the West End in Chicago in late September '86, I'm downright craving to hear the entirety of The Slugs performance that evening, and I think you will as well. Yes, they are indeed astute mod revivalists/renovators, but given the era they came of age in they also had the benefit of turning to The Jam and Elvis Costello to garner inspiration from.  Two deftly crafted, and smartly written numbers here, and not only is there another Slugs single out there in the ether to imbibe, but count 'em, THREE whole albums to glean as well, spanning 1988 to 2000.  This was an absolutely killer find.

A. Back to the Playgrounds
B. Now They Can All Lie Down

Hear

6 comments:

Beyes said...

sounds right up my alley -- and its not even Chanukah yet!

Tom Kopp said...

The Slugs were great. I know I bought at least one of those albums back in the day. Sure can't find it though. If you found the rest of their output please post. Love your blog. Cheers!

EricC said...

I saw The Slugs a lot when I lived in Chicago, including opening for the John Entwistle band. They were good guys, and a lot of fun live.

Kouzie said...

The Slugs were one of my favorite bands to see around Chicago. Singer/guitarist Dag Juhlin still plays in several bands regularly, most notably as guitarist in Poi Dog Pondering.

Todd said...

I came to this blog specifically searching for Online coursework service. After many years, at last my prayers are answered!

Rods Men’s Wear said...

Owned and operated by Trey McLaughlin, a native Charlestonian, Best Charleston FFL Transfer was founded to provide concierge FFL/NFA services to a select clientele. Trey is an avid sportsman, hunter and gun enthusiast. Trey loves history and has a specific focus on World War 2 history and firearms.