Saturday, November 13, 2021

The Myst - Hit or Myst (1991, Canned Laughter)

What little I've seen spelled out about this Denver trio makes reference to their psychedelic inclinations, and precious little else.  I suppose you can truthfully shove a "psych" reference onto a majority of selections on Hit or Myst, but I'm picking up on trace elements of post-punk, goth, and a relatively wide assortment of American indie rock and pop too.  It's rare to hear a band with such a mid-fi aptitude convey the kind of mystique that The Myst lend to their songs, the most memorable of which bear something of a hook - "Sympathy," "Seen it All Before" and the winsome, bittersweet closer "Orbit." Amazingly, the entire record was knocked off in one day on the cheap.

The Myst have made a vinyl rip of their lone LP available on Bandcamp.  I thought I could make an improvement over it, but in all honesty there was a heck of a lot of surface noise on my copy I was only able to remedy so much. That being said, since it's available through them, I'm only going to make this one available for a couple weeks before I nix the link. Don't sleep.

01. Midnight Act
02. Hopeless Folk Party
03. Seen it All Before
04. Powerlunch
05. Death By a Pretty Blade
06. Hey Little Sister
07. Sympathy
08. Kool-Aid Guru
09. That Same Sharp Light
10. Entwined Circumstance
11. Inky Deed to Your Soul
12. Orbit

Hear

No comments: