Sunday, July 9, 2023

Balboa - Live Like This ep (1980, Single Sound)

Yet another record I don't own a physical variation of, but in the absence of something tangible I'll take whatever I can get, even ones and zeros. Hailing from Knoxville, TN and releasing this lone platter in their early '80s lifespan, Balboa angled for something poignant in a power pop-ish  realm on "Writer and Artist" and this ep's punky title cut, without slavishly skewing to said genre, or for that matter what was passing for new-wave at the time. The remainder of the record meanders into divergent paths, and frankly gets a little non-descript by the time they lay down "The Big Sleep." In doing my research on this foursome, I learned Balboa recently compiled these songs and about a dozen more into a digital compilation on Bandcamp at a really nice starting price. Consider this a sampler, and if you enjoy what you hear please consider sending a few dollars their way. 

01. Writer and the Artist
02. Live Like This
03. Be Somebody
04. The Big Sleep

1 comment:

Luc said...

Great Record! I bought the full one for a buck. Thanks very much!!!