Saturday, May 29, 2021

The Barking Boys - The Yes Girls (1987, World)

So I was a little on the fence about posting this one, because frankly I'm not even sure if I'm down with it.  The Barking Boys were actually a coed combo, presumably from Toronto.  I'd love to give you some personnel info but there's none to be had on the jacket. Perhaps there was an insert that was supposed to go with this and it somehow got displaced before I acquired it.  Who knows, but nonetheless there are boy/girl vocals all over this one, and sadly the male on the mic has an obnoxious parlance to his shtick.  Far more unfortunate, he dominates over his female counterpart on the vast majority of Yes Girls. TBB are gently nudging towards new wave a la latter day Talking Heads, minus much in the way of substantive lyrics, but sonically they have potential here with an equal mesh of gits and synths.  The only entirely female-fronted piece, "Cool it Down" is catchy with a DIY bent, not unlike the kind of stuff you'd encounter on an episode of MTV's Basement Tapes way back when this record was making the rounds in the mid-80s. After this promising number Yes Girls ebbs and flows on a downhill gradient with the "dude's" pipes just not slotting in well with the rest of the proceedings.  Even though this doesn't do the trick for me, you might very well be a different case, so I hope I haven't scared anyone off.  BTW, my copy of the record formally belonged to a radio station, and with it's stickers and markings on the sleeve and such I opted to go with the stock image Discogs provided.

01. Cool it Down
02. Here She Comers
03. Ghost Story
04. Open City
05. Too Hot in Here
06. High Life/Low Life
07. Blood Money
08. Incident in St. James Town

Hear

No comments: