Thursday, October 5, 2017

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Record Plant, Sausalito, CA 4-23-77 (KSAN archives)

I think you'd be hard pressed to find rock and roll aficionados who came up in the seventies and/or eighties that didn't have some sort of inclination for Tom Petty (with or without the Heartbreakers). I was never a super-fan of his, but that's fine because he had accorded plenty already.  In fact, I didn't start exploring TP&H albums in their entirety until quite recently.  Like Springsteen or Dylan, it didn't take a complete absorption of his entire body of work to have sincere admiration towards Petty's strenuous integrity and consoling presence.  I didn't have much of an affinity for his later records, or even for much of what he churned out in the waning years of the twentieth century.  I hardly feel guilty about that, because there were still enough songs I had a connection to.  Plaintive songwriters who reach mass audiences make that connection with fans millions of times over, and as such, more discriminating ears like my own take those artists for granted and opt to explore less traveled paths and environs.  Nonetheless, news of his death cut deep.  After all, this was someone who'd been creating music for the entirety of my existence, and had been in my consciousness for a good 75% of that time.

He left us with a lot - the vast majority of which I'm not at liberty to share, but at any rate I can give you this.  Tracked at the Record Plant in Sausalito, CA (one of three recording studios by the same name owned by Gary Kellgren and Chris Stone) this set was recorded live in studio with a very modest and intimate crowd in attendance, later to be broadcast on KSAN radio out of 'frisco.  Cut between the first TP&H album and You're Gonna Get It, the seven songs presented here may not be the complete set, but this is the incarnation floating around.  It features a preview of YGGI's "I Need to Know," and the semi-precious stone "Surrender," one of the band's high water marks.  R.I.P. Mr. Integrity.

01. Surrender
02. band intros - American Girl
03. Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)
04. I Need to Know
05. Strangered in the Night
06. Dog on the Run
07. Route 66

Hear

12 comments:

moo said...

Would be very grateful if you'd add a lossless option to the mp3's.

art58koen said...

Thanks a lot, appreciated!

spavid said...

Unfortunately I don't possess a lossless version of this. My apologies.

johnnybgoode said...

Thanks a lot! You mentioned you didnt much like Petty's more recent work. I find the last one, Hypnotic Eye, to have more humor, fun and rock harder than any of the predecessors. Quite good.

draftervoi said...

Hi! Great blog! I just put up a FLAC copy of this show over at https://voodoowagon.blogspot.com/ , sourced from a master cassette a friend of mine recorded off the air at the time. Please feel free to download and re-share it! Best of luck to you, DRaftervoi....

moo said...

Thank you! Unfortunately voodoo isn't working for me. The intensive scripts are slowing my pc down to a crawl & the Mega links aren't working at all. But thanks for the effort!

draftervoi said...

Hey, Moo....what browser are you using? My understanding is that Mega only works well with Chrome. If you want to email me, write to me at DRaftervoi@gmail.com, I can convert thisto MP3s and send it to you.

moo said...

Thanks! I don't have Chrome. Was looking for the Flacs, but thanks again!

robgronotte said...

I have a version of this in mp3 320 with 4 additional songs. Don't remember where I got it, but the info file says it's from a 1986 WXRT re-broadcast.

Jim H. said...

good stuff, thanks! I wonder why "Surrender" didn't make it anywhere else other than a b side, its one of my favorites.....Dwight Twilley partner Phil Seymour cut it on his second album, and does a decent job on it.....

draftervoi said...

Yeah, "Surrender" was a great song. Petty has a couple of those unreleased or B-Side tracks that were some of his best work but didn't make the cut for an LP. Another one of them is "Trailer." Great song, should have been on "Southern Accents," in my opinion....

Unknown said...

I listened to that broadcast (and a later rebroadcast) on KSAN. There was a long, hypnotic jam of Breakdown ...