There was more than our fair share of female-fronted wave/AOR acts populating the airwaves circa 1985 - Divinyls, The Motels, Go-Go's, Til Tuesday, Debbie Harry. Aside from the occasional single or two most of the above didn't do much for me, which is why I wish Boston's
Piece de Resistance had more or a presence when this lone ep dropped that same year. In spite of not being particularly innovative the
Beverly Bond commandeered five-piece were at the very least substantive with a rich sonic aplomb that from what I can tell was thoroughly guitar centric (that's right, no keys). They did employ a full-time saxophonist however,
Marshall Rushford, who genuinely embellished PdR's overarching m.o. and whose roll never presented itself as an accessory. Deft, melodic songcraft extends to virtually every pore of
Daylight Cries, with side's "Desperate Rhymes" and "(Throwback) the Little Ones emanating slightly melancholic hues. And don't let the album sleeve mislead you, there's nothing particularly noir or gloomy about this one.
Apologies in advance for the bumpy audio on "Guardian Angel" which I couldn't make a clean edit of to save my life. Mucho distortion on "Throwback..." as well. Should I come across a better copy maybe I can give this another whirl.
01. Guardian Angel
02. Designs on You
03. Desperate Rhymes
04. (Throwback) the Little Ones
No comments:
Post a Comment