Sunday, February 6, 2022

Bad Sneakers - Beat the Meter (1984, Now & Then)

No, I don't know if they named themselves after the Steely Dan tune, but I can assure you that Bad Sneakers don't sound a stitch like Fagen & Becker. With that out of the way, this quartet (ostensibly from Delaware) deliver a solid and a fairly consistent album of radio-friendly power pop, that believe it or not could have competed with the work of contemporaries like Tommy Tutone, early-80s Rick Springfield, and dare I say even Todd Rundgren/Utopia. Despite this album and two surrounding ones, seeing the light of day on a small-time indie imprint, it certainly sounds like the Sneakers had loftier ambitions than playing the local club circuit - and why not with hook-savvy numbers like "Caught in the Act," "Pictures of You," and "Man Overboard" to vouch for? Beat the Meter might have been short of innovation, but the songs certainly compensate for that. I'll have you know the band established a website where you can stream this album and their others, but this rip came from my own copy and naturally, is fully downloadable. 

01. Caught in the Act
02. Ground Zero
03. Man Overboard
04. Blue Light
05. Down to It
06. Invisible Man
07. Pictures of You
08. All I Want to Know
09. Anesthesia (live)
10. Invisible Man II

Hear

1 comment:

easirent stansted said...

Thank you for a great blog. Here I find interesting ideas to think about and useful tips about nutrition. My name is Olivia Foster and I have been a gluten free vegetarian for over 12 years. Last week I went to Nashville where I rented a Rental24h.com to get to a vegan forum, where met like-minded people.