Sunday, April 19, 2020

Hinterland - Kissing The Roof of Heaven (1990)

Hopefully this coming week I'll be posting some fresh vinyl rips and maybe re-ups of expired links.  I recently had a request for this one, and truthfully haven't had much time to live with it.  Nonetheless I appreciate where Hinterland was coming from.  In a nutshell, this is the other fork in the road U2 could have taken post-Joshua TreeKissing the Roof... is the sort of textured, contemplative music I was getting my fill of in middle school, just before I made the full scale ascendancy into alt/indie rock.  Sort of mines the same vein as David & David, Blue Nile, Not Drowning Waving.  Maybe even a mellower Cactus World News.  Robbie Robertson from The Band put a solo disc in 1987 that would have meshed nicely with this one, if that's worth anything to you.  Hinterland were of Irish stock, and at the moment I don't have much else to divulge on them except that this album was more rewarding than I was anticipating.

01. Dark Hill
02. Handle Me
03. Reporter
04. Stanley's Minutes
05. God's Reverb
06. Galway Bay
07. Dive the Deepest
08. The Artists
09. Aeroplanes
10. Desert Boots
11. Senior Romantics

Hear

4 comments:

JellySnek said...

Oh my godness, thank you <3

Paul said...

I think I see the U2 comparison/analogy here - like if U2 had kept up the earnestness but dropped the bigger/grandiose themes for more personal/smaller ones. Instead they discovered irony and misanthropy, and the rest is history. The vocals also remind me a little of Idlewild's Roddy Woomble, although the music doesn't have that band's more full-bodied/frenetic sound.

m0rt said...

Nice to see this album getting some love 40 years on. One of, if not the most, underrated albums ever created.

Randy said...

I thought this album was GREAT - polished, heartfelt, and put out by a real artist.