Ever wonder what became of
Ivan Julian after the
Voidoids dissolved? Yeah, me neither...but I found out anyway. With Julian running the show here I was hoping to hear some last vestige of Richard Hell & Co, or heck, even a tamer new-wave friendly likeness of thereof. Not so much. The partied-up funk rock of "Dancin' in the Dark" could have garnered a few spins in the waning era of Studio 54. Not an inadvisable listen mind you, but the following number, the soulful crooner "Heart on Fire" by and large is a sheer no-go. If any selection on the
Outsets qualifies for centerpiece status, the power-pop bent of the inflation-themed "Young Man's Money" easily seizes the prize. The concluding "Iceman" languishes on for five and a half minutes without ever really peaking. Overall, the
Outsets may not have "set out" to deliberately disappoint, but seemingly succeed at doing so regardless. I'm told drummer
Vinny DeNunzio was present in an early incarnation of the
Feelies, among numerous other stints appearing on his resume.
01. Dancin' in the Dark
02. Heart on Fire
03. Young Man's Money
04. Iceman
No comments:
Post a Comment