Sunday, August 14, 2022

Beer on the Penguin - Hold On (1987, Renaissance)

Another record not actually part and parcel of my collection, but one eternally grateful to have files of thanks to the time and generosity of whomever ripped it. Despite such a unique moniker, little is written about this Michigan quartet.  Beer on the Penguin skewed closer to the left end of the dial but were deft enough to compete on a mainstream level, given the opportunity. I'm honing in on nodes of everyone from Big Country to Crowded House, and the ringing guitar lines smack of Cactus World News, a delightful thing in my book. Though Beer on the Penguin may be a dandy name to you and I it may have not served these fellows well. Anyway, really dug what I heard here and hope you will as well.

01. Looking For You
02. Hold On
03. Pictures
04. Always Seems the Same
05. Better Days
06. Time For Tears
07. She

Hear

1 comment:

EricC said...

I love this. They look like an early 80s hardcore band, they sound like the bands you mentioned, and a whole lot of The Church thrown in there as well. I wish they had recorded more.