Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Garden Path - 5 Reasons (1986, Greasy)

Here's another gem of a record that I don't own the physical vinyl of...but I'm working on it.  Adelaide, Australia was home base for The Garden Path, a sterling indie pop five-piece who recording for the equally sterling and rewarding Greasy Pop imprint.  Regarding their debut, 5 Reasons, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that these guys had encountered a Rain Parade or Dream Syndicate record or two.  Their psych-inclinations, while evident, aren't heavy handed, and like home-country contemporaries done good, the Church, the Garden Path aren't maneuvering for any cloying throwbacks to the the sixties (though I have to admit, the keyboards augmenting "What Do You Want to Hear" faintly exude a farfisa organ).  A balance of subtly and dynamics characterize 5 Reasons, and I'm curious as to how they progressed on subsequent releases.  A double CD archive of their recordings, Take it All Back, was released in 2011 and appears to be sold out.  After the jump, take a gander at TGP taking on the Soft Boys "Kingdom of Love," and executing it with as much perfection as the original.




01. This Place
02. Into the Clouds
03. Times (Out of Mind)
04. 5 Reasons
05. What Do You Want to Hear
06. Strangers
07. 5000 Miles
08. Little Pieces

Hear

7 comments:

Neilantman said...

Thanks , I have the album somewhere in my house..

Jim H. said...

Great stuff! i bought a lot of the Greasy Pop label stuff here in Boston the mid/later 80s......"What Do You Want To Hear" definitely channels the Church, imho, minus the keyboard sound.......

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this record. Great band.

slovenlyeric said...

Thank you. This is a really solid record. Glad to hear it again. I had it on vinyl back then.

SmashedRecords said...

I'm Rohan Belton, the keyboard player from The Garden Path. If you're searching for any TGP vinyl or a copy of the 3-album, double-CD digi-pack, I can give you some contact details of the guys that might have copies here in Oz. My contact details are smashedrecords@hotmail.com

Alex said...

Hi there. Link is dead. Could you please reupload it? Thanks again!

Paul said...

Thanks to Rohan for helping me get a copy of the three-album collection - the person who sold me a copy also threw in a copy of their 2017 live album as a bonus!