Thursday, March 7, 2019

Orbits - Q: What...Ans: Nothing (1981, Electric Eye)

Contrary to the album title, Boston's Orbits don't pose many a question on this album, and certainly nothing deep.  No, any such lofty ruminations weren't on their agenda by a long-shot.  Upbeat power-pop was their game, and they executed it with near rapturous enthusiasm and aplomb.  Q: What...Ans: Nothing is considerably more fun than what I usually vend you...and I make no apologies for it. It's a record that comes from a similar place as '80s Cheap Trick, The Producers, and maybe even a dash of the Bay City Rollers.  Gotta love those patented, wonky synth lines wedging their way in intermittently too.  A video exists for "Rear View Mirror," and I'd love to know if MTV aired it at some ungodly hour of the morning in their first year or so on the air.

01. Rear View Mirror
02. Brand New Beat
03. Slow Motion
04. Rockette
05. 7 Digits
06. Sensors
07. Atomic Love
08. It's a Surprise

Hear

2 comments:

Jim H. said...

my wife, who is from here in the Boston area, remembers "Rear View Mirror" a ton! Really good stuff, thanks!!!!!

Bruce Brodeen said...

I'll chime alongside Jim...I grew up in Boston, bought this 8-song delight back in the day and played it...a LOT. I'll have to listen to it again here to confirm but don't recall them ever even vaguely sounding like the Rollers but the rest of what you write here hit me as very(as usual) accurate. Wicked Pissa Cool, as Bostonians liked to say.