Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Breathers - Rain Down ep (Sheisterfest, 1990)

Another cold case, this one from New Jersey.  Too bad I only have the cassette version of Rain Down, as the skimpy j-card doesn't offer any pertinent details on The Breathers.  The music is what counts of course, and this crew kicks things off with an inviting jangly rocker, "That Hope," which vaguely recalls the likes of across-the-pond sensations Power of Dreams and the Alarm.  Side two of Rain Down brings it all back home however, specifically the demonstrably more American-ized "Take," a driving three chord surge of anthemic proportions.  The Breathers commercial ambitions are nothing less than pronounced, but they're couched in a rewarding alt-rock context.  There was an ep that preceded this one titled Normal, Illinois that I'm itching to get my hands on. 

01. That Hope
02. Bonfire
03. Take
04. One More Movie

Hear

9 comments:

Andy G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy G said...

I would play from the Normal, Illinois EP on my college radio show. "Stay The Boy" is an incredible song. So happy to see this here. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi, used to run the Vinyl Obscurity blog until the establishment took it down. Oh well not going to start over, but stinks they took all my content down......I've got this EP and it came with a promo sheet. the band gigged at the Ritz, Cat Club, CBGB's and opened up for Replacements, Marshall Crenshaw, Flock of Seagulls...cool little indie alternative rock EP...

Unknown said...

http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1111-0-1-0/2948058304/breathers-the-normal-illinois.html

Unknown said...

http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1111-0-1-0/2948058304/breathers-the-normal-illinois.html

Unknown said...

sorry about posting it twice…it was an accident! (I'd like to get a copy of this as well, but I figured I'd let you have the opportunity to get this copy yourself.)

Unknown said...

also, Albert Brown, I have some files from you that I need help ID-ing! Can you please get with me at pateewack@msn.com? thanks!

spavid said...

The link has been updated.

Nate said...

any chance of a re-up? love "Normal Illinois" - never heard this one, thanks!