Saturday, March 9, 2024

The Texas Instruments - Magnetic Home (1993, Doctor Dream)

It's been awhile since I dedicated any meaningful space to the Texas Instruments.  About a decade and a half, and that's not an exaggeration.  I submitted their 1991 album Crammed Into Infinity way back in 2008. You might say the Instruments aren't a high echelon priority for me, but I enjoy what I've heard by them, albeit I still have some catching up to do regarding their output in the '80s.  At any rate, prior to hearing Magnetic Home for the first time, many of it's song titles struck me as a bit trite, even hackneyed.  Glad I didn't judge this book by it's cover though, because as with Crammed... this is another batch of earnest tunes that would have slotted in with anything populating college radio, say in the late-80s.  Vying for a similar aesthetic to what the Feelies achieved on Time For a Witness, T/I bore an appeal straightforward enough to have been embraced by a considerably lager audience, however the band's aplomb for sincerity and minor chords (not to mention career-long independent status) all but ensured they would never be adopted as the flavor-of-the-month.  Perhaps not an outright revelation, Magnetic Home, illustrates that these Austin, TX fixtures were worth every morsel of adulation their small but dedicated fanbase were gracious enough to bestow upon them.   

01. Hittin' it Hard
02. The Gift of Age
03. A Generation Beat Away
04. When i Found You
05. Don't Give YOur Life
06. Part of the Whole
07. Say Something
08. The Sweet Modern Word
09. Vision
10. Armagideon's Child
11. Magnetic Home

1 comment:

Josef Kloiber said...

Great band. I have 4 cds.