Thursday, April 11, 2019

Tictoc - Twenty Questions 12" (1983, Dallcorte)

Eleven years is a long time for a follow-up post.  Not that I intended it that way.  Back in 2008 when I shared Tictoc's lone album, Where the Picnic Was, I knew there really wasn't much more where that came from.  Like a lot of wave/new romantic outfits in the '80s who didn't score a monster hit out of the gate, this Toronto quartet probably didn't think sticking around for a second act was a feasible option.  And while Picnic was a commendable effort, the album as a whole seemed to be overshadowed by the irresistibly vibrant single "Twenty Questions."  Brandishing an infectious punctuated synthesizer riff, the song oozes with the visceral immediacy and excitement of any intelligent dance-pop number of its era, often striking me as what a mutation of Duran Duran and Kajagoogoo might have amounted to.  This extended single is one of a couple iterations, but mine (which I found sealed a few months ago, no less) features a nicely extended remix on side one.  On the flip they hand us the album version, plus a non-LP cut that starts life out as an instrumental, before inexplicably segueing into a cover of the '40s standard "One For My Baby."

A. Twenty Questions (extended)
B1. Twenty Questions (LP vers)
B2. The Village~One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)

Hear

1 comment:

DJMPHACTOR said...

One of my favorite songs when I was a kid should have been a bigger hit here in the US. Can you please repost a new link for the maxi single again. Link is dead. Thank you for sharing this great music and for having an amazing awesome blog.