Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Dimestore Darlings - Senior Ball: Spirit of '96 tape (1996)

Yet another virtual unknown, though in fairness I presented you with an earlier Dimestore Darlings tape in 2012.  That cartridge, 1994's What is My... was actually more impressive than I originally let on, brimming with a bouquet of Minneapolis inspirations (Replacements, etc) conveyed with a warm, mid-fi aptitude.  Two years later another DD cassette entered the marketplace, Senior Ball: Spirit of '96.  Still lovingly rough-hewn and riff heavy as all-get-out, some of the quartet's grit was sanded down a notch here, albeit barely worth mentioning.  Fans of the Figgs, Libertines (US) and Finger would do well to investigate these lads, who by the way were fronted by Justin Kirk who later played a role in everyone's favorite 420-friendly TV serial, Weeds.

01. Superheroes
02. Stuck
03. Falls Through
04. Cynthia's Sorority

Hear

6 comments:

Todd said...

I know nothing about Dimestore Darlings except I've had six songs of theirs on my computer for years, four of them credited to Justin Kirk. Only two of them match up with these. If you'd like them, just let me know; they could be rare or completely run of the mill.

spavid said...

Thanks Todd. Would be totally up for hearing those songs.

Unknown said...

Hey guys-glad you like the stuff-here's the complete source for our old songs-I'm the bass player.

http://dimestoredarlings.tumblr.com

Todd said...

I never would have guessed Dimestore Darlings and Nada Surf had overlap! Sorry to hear it didn't end well.

spavid said...

Thanks so much for the tumblr link! Looking forward to hearing this stuff.

Anonymous said...

reup please this one! Many Thanks!!