Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Javany - Brighter Than Color (1985, Tribal)

Well, I'm probably going to lose some serious punk points with this one.  In fact there's barely a power chord punctuating this rather genteel slab of wax.  Javany (still trying to decipher if that's what this trio were known as collectively, or if this is actually a solo LP credited to the eponymously referenced front man on the back sleeve) register on the weaker end of the power pop spectrum, occasionally demonstrating some folky proclivities on Brighter Than Color's quieter pieces, watering down the oomph factor even more.  That being said, I like to think I'm sniffing faint traces of the Raspberries and Dwight Twilley - or perhaps Brighter... is really just a soft AOR record with a handful of rough edges and I'm merely deluding myself.  Plenty of ballads, a few clunkers, and a couple of genuine keepers like, "I Lied" and "What You Want," are what's in store for those brave enough to indulge in this long departed trio that once roamed the Inland Empire.

01. Eleana
02. What You Want
03. Screaming Eyes
04. I Believe in Somebody
05. La Unica
06. The Mine
07. Here For You
08. I Lied
09. Kaboom
10. Brighter Than Color

Hear

5 comments:

Theabs06 said...

Halfway through this, I'm enjoying it. Your description is pretty spot on, I also get a bit of a Rubinoos vibe going on. Thanks!

Bruce K. said...

Well, although I'm a pop man, it didn't work for me on the first listen. Given the source (you!) I'll give it at least another two tries to see if it clicks, especially the tracks you called out. But either way I appreciate your, er, "guts" in going ahead with the post.

Thanks for everything over the years.

PoodleHead2005 said...

Could you re-up this please? Thanks. :)

spavid said...

The link has been updated.

PoodleHead2005 said...

Thank you!!!