Sunday, December 30, 2012

V/A - Best of the blog mix 2012!

2013 is within spitting distance, and while I plan on offering a couple of best-of lists for this years releases/reissues, (most likely to be shared on New Years Day) I thought I'd cherry-pick some of the juiciest morsels from the 100+ entries I made available in 2012.  I'm not going to dedicate any time to critiquing and such here, as I already abundantly have in the original postings, all of which are linked via selecting the hyperlinked band names below.  2012 turned out to be an incredible year for retro finds, making it a challenge to put this compilation together.  This mix is designed to be both a recap for those of you who frequent Wilfully Obscure, and a springboard for anyone who's just plain overwhelmed by the vast trove of material I share on a weekly, if not daily basis.  In a nutshell, if you count yourself among the uninitiated and don't know where to start, start here (and of course, work your way backwards).  Enjoy.  BTW, I've included five songs that I haven't shared heretofore, and they've been denoted with an asterisk.

01. Lost Luggage - Everything Breaks
02. Tugboat Annie - Only
03. Fire in the Kitchen - The Fog
04. Cannon Heath Down - Bone of Contention
05. Kashmir - Outside
06. Rhythm Method - Broken Haloes
07. Gluons - A Room In Your Head
08. Orange Roughies - Knuckle Sandwich
09. Marshal Fields - Shouldn't We
10. Outside World - Suicidal Weekend
12. Bring Home the Lobsters - What I Believe
13. Neon Rock Garden (NRg) - Don't Say Baboon
14. Desperate Hours - Who Sets the Changes
15. Monkey 101 - French Feelings *
16. Teeze - Assembly Line
17. Stiffs Inc. - Sad Song
18. No Such Thing - Marching
19. Teeny Records - Weekend Go
20. Facecrime - Cable TV
21. Fingers - Too Young *
22. Steppin' Lazer - Tired of Your Love *
23. Unknown Mystery 60's Band - Birdhouses *
24. Here Kitty Kitty - Secret Goldfish
25. Matt Allison - Hard Look at Perfect
26. Serious Young Insects - Be Patient
27. Dentists - House The Size Of Mars
28. Close Lobsters - Steel Love *
29. Sheriff Jack - Buy Everybody a Cake
30. The Surf - Please Surrender

* = previously unshared

Hear

9 comments:

bglobe313 said...

Hi,

What a great idea. Another chance to visit old favorites, see what was missed, and maybe give something another chance to hit the ear.

I definitely recognize the first song. What a great track.

For my personal list, I would have to add "Cover Me" by Pop Art, but that's just me.

Thanks for a great year. It really helped.

Ace

evr said...

Where's that Close Lobsters track from?

thanks!

spavid said...

Thanks Ace. Was thinking about Pop Art, but I guess some other titles won over. Wish I had more to share by them but I don't think so.

The Close Lobsters song is from their Soundcloud page:

https://soundcloud.com/lobster

New album this year!

bglobe313 said...

Spavid,

From what I have dug up online by Pop Art that track I mentioned is much better than anything else I have heard.

There are some others that are fine (grade B in the old school system), but not a single other A or A- to my ears.

Nothing the matter with that, either. To hit brilliance even once is better than most recorded pop musicians ever achieve.

Ace

decker154 said...

Any chance you can re-up the M. Allison single? It's n/a from the link. Thanks!

spavid said...

The Matt Allison link has been fixed:

http://netkups.com/?d=1ebda335de50c

ToadHallFan said...

Any chance of one more up for the Matt Allison song?

ToadHallFan said...

Any chance of one more up for the Matt Allison song?

Unknown said...

Excellent !! Have you ever considered writing eBook or Guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.