Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Harlows - tape (1996)

The only pertinent info I was able to find on Minneapolis' Harlows was a 1999 article indicating that around that time the group had released a double CD featuring songs from four of their independent releases.  Unfortunately, they didn't make it onto my radar until last year, but the eight-song cassette I'm sharing is of considerable compensation.  A co-ed quartet, The Harlows dealt in buoyant, indie guitar pop in the mold of the Spinanes and Versus.  Singer Rachel has a vocal timbre not far disconnected from Sarah Shannon of Velocity Girl.  Excellent songs, which by the way often hearken of Johnny Marr's chiming guitar-work.  This was beyond a pleasant surprise.

01. Purposeful Heart
02. Tsunami
03. Anyway
04. Jetlag
05. Shiner
06. Lean
07. April Shakes
08. Escar Go Karts

Hear

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, me and my brother played in the band. thanks for posting and nice words. :)

spavid said...

Thanks for checking in Michael. Any ideas on where I can find the CD I mentioned?

Unknown said...

yeah, i have one somewhere...but my brother must have a few. i'll see if i can get one for you. I do have about a dozen copies of the 1st demo tape also...i read your blog all the time. very cool.

Michael
mikeperry@gmail.com