Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The dB's - live at Criminal Records, Atlanta 4/16/11

2012.  Yet another year I failed to make the trek to SXSW in Austin.  Were I  attending perhaps the single most coveted concert on my wish list would be the original lineup of The dB's, who from what I understand are going to be performing four separate gigs this week (some of which may be invite only).  Chris Stamey, Peter Holsapple, Will Rigby, Gene Holder.  Wow.  And they have a new album coming down the pike for us too!  The closest I'll get to catching any DB's reunion shows will be via bootlegs like this one.  As a precursor to the new platter, Falling Off the Sky, the band put out a new single, "Picture Sleeve," on Record Store Day last year.  Folks that lived in the Atlanta, GA environs got an extra special treat that day when the dB's played an in-store set at Criminal Records.  What I'm presenting is an audience recording that you'd swear this was taken straight from the soundboard, so the audio is impeccable.  I should add that the taper had to leave early and was unable to catch the last two songs of the set ("If & When" and "Amplifier").  Even though some of the classics like "Black and White" and "Neverland" are absent what is here is pretty amazing, and I hope someone can persuade the guys to do a full scale tour closer to the release of Falling Off the Sky.  Enjoy.  BTW, the Save Criminal Records campaign is still active. 

01 - intro
02 - "wake up, that time is gone"
03 - Happenstance
04 - Nothing Is Wrong
05 - "before we were born"
06 - Big Brown Eyes
07 - Ode to an Orange Squeezer
08 - World To Cry
09 - Send Me Something Real
10 - Picture Sleeve
11 - Love Is For Lovers
12 - Excitement

Hear

11 comments:

Rob-in-Brevard said...

Yes, sux that we can't all be there in Austin. The dB's are playing 5 or 6 shows there! Thanks for posting the Criminal Records set.

Your blog was part of the inspiration for me to start me own, dedicated to The dB's, its members and their musical collaborations:

http://dbs-repercussion.blogspot.com/

New posts with music every Friday!

monkeymanmoi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
monkeymanmoi said...

Dang. See what happens when you start a family and have little kids biting at your ankles? I live 8 miles from Criminal Records and had no clue about this DBs gig. I guess I'm glad I didn't know about it because I'd have been upset that day. Thanks for posting!!

Matt said...

saw them today! mitch easter on bass!

Michael Toland said...

I saw their official showcase gig at BD Riley's (an Irish sports bar, but SXSW has a rep for booking important bands in shitty locations)on 3/17. As Matt notes, Mitch Easter subbed for
Gene Holder. I overheard Peter Holsapple make a comment about how he "felt every one of his 56 years," but he and the rest of the band were fantastic. About half the set consisted of new tunes, which are pretty great, and they ended the set proper with an ass-kicking "Neverland" before encoring with "If and When." They also played a pretty cool cover of "Tomorrow Never Knows." Hopefully they'll tour more later in the year, because if this performance and the new songs are any indication, the dB's are on fire right now.

spavid said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. Didn't realize Mitch was a stand-in for Gene. With any luck I'll be able to experience them live, but I'm not holding my breath.

Matt said...

YIKES. BD Riley's is so awful. i endured Make Believe there a couple years or so ago, during the same week. i absolutely loved the new dB's material.

halfpear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
halfpear said...

http://www.livestream.com/musicfog/video?clipId=pla_446bc450-a41a-4ca0-86b5-bdda82e1d210

Here's a link to The dB's live in Austin during SXSW. Sorry y'all couldn't be there, but we hope you get the new album Falling Off The Sky when it comes out on June 14!

Unknown said...

Thanks Spavid for sharing the Austin criminal record list. I missed your live show.

squirrellevel said...

Any chance of reupping this one? I'm a huge fan and ex-Atlantan who missed the show, and then missed the files of the show. Woe is me?