Sunday, July 24, 2011

Splitting the Difference #41 - Olivelawn/The Jack of Hearts (1990, No Guff)

Ok, this will be my last San Diego-related entry for awhile, but hopefully not forever.  I fulfilled a request for an Olivelawn single back in January, but at the time I didn't realize this highly limited split single (with the altogether unknown Jack of Hearts) even existed - that was until I stumbled upon it while browsing an Ebay seller's list this past winter.  Yes, I lead quite the exciting life.  Anyway, as far as Olivelawn recordings go, this isn't particularly seminal - a slightly muddy audience recording of the Sab's "Symptom of the Universe," given the O grunge-ola treatment of course.  The results are exactly what you might expect.  The Jack of Hearts, as already stated, are the unknown quantity on this wax, doling out the uninhibited fuzz-pedal freakout "Box of Love," and a less than memorable run-through of "Jumpin' Jack Flack," driven straight into the ground via a patently pitible vocal performance.

A. Olivelawn - Symptom of the Universe (live)
B1. Jack of Hearts - Box of Love
B2. Jack of Hearts - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Hear

6 comments:

Scaggsaway said...

I'm confused. The files have different song titles and since there's no other information I can't tell if these are the right titles but they do not match the titles in the post. I also have no idea what either of these bands sounds like (well, I guess I have a little idea, you're pretty good at describing things) so I can't even hazard a guess.

The first song, based on the file info and the words in the song, is called "Beautiful Feeling" and is not live.

Scaggsaway said...

Ah ha. I guess you posted the original Olivelawn single in this post. That must be it. That will teach me to click your links before commenting.

spavid said...

Everything all good then? Will double check everything's up to snuff later.

Scaggsaway said...

Sorry I've been so confusing.

It appears as though you reposted the files from the original Olivelawn 7" under this post. In other words, I have yet to hear Jack Of Hearts.

spavid said...

I'll see if I can get this straightened out tonight. Weird.

spavid said...

Just updated the link folks. Give it a shot.