Sunday, December 12, 2010

Singles Going Single #153 - Phil Neal "Standard Questions" 7" (1980, Invicta)

Would you believe that this single racked up a roughly $200 final auction price on Ebay?  Strangely enough, these two Phil Neal sides of deftly crafted, classicist power pop are almost worth the costly price of admission.   Both "Standard Question," and "Crossfire" could have held their own against just about any given selection on those essential Yellow Pills or Rhino Records DIY power pop compilations from so many years ago.  The Records and Joe Jackson are a couple of the more blatant influences here, but there are certainly others that are escaping me at the moment.  Word on the net has it that a video exists for "Standard Question," and furthermore, the single was a radio hit in Phil Neal's native Kansas City.  I'd love to hear more where this came from, but I'm not holding my breath.  Phil currently participates in a rock troupe called The Rockhills

A. Standard Question
B. Crossfire

Hear

4 comments:

Jim P. said...

Interesting! Thanks a lot.

Phil said...

The web never ceases to blow my mind. I wish I could sell the 25 records in my basement for $200.00.
Yes there is a video of Standard
? It was in light rotation on MTV in the early 80's. Still playing.
Phil Neal

Unknown said...

I played drums on both of those songs and I'm not sure if I'd attribute any influence on the rhythm section to Joe Jackson-but maybe on the entire sound, sure...my favorite drummers at that time were Richie Hayward, Stewart Copeland, Steve Gadd, and Jeff Porcaro. Phil keeps rockin'....


dougie "Z"

spavid said...

The link has been fixed.