Saturday, March 20, 2010

Half a Chicken - Food For Thought (1988, Rabid Cat)

I think my expectations for this one were a little too high, due in no small part to the Bob Mould production credit. From what I can tell this was the only national release from Half a Chicken, a four piece combo from Port Washington, NY (downstate, Nassau County...like you care). Anyway, Food For Thought is a little on the nondescript side. HAC don't portray themselves as true believers of Husker Du, and if anything lean more towards northeast indie-rawkers Agitpop and Nice Strong Arm. Their more convincing moments like the jangling "Red Kite," "Describe the Rain," "Feeling it Now" could have been scaled down for a tidier ep. This Chicken may be a little Half baked, but if you're an aficionado of college radio from this era, I wouldn't hesitate giving Food... a taste.

01. Chicken Scratch
02. Red Kite
03. 50 Favorite Dead People
04. You & Me
05. Another Daydream
06. Describe the Rain
07. Feeling it Now
08. (You Can't Have It) Your Own Way
09. On My Way

Hear

7 comments:

Brushback said...

Seriously, I think I saw these guys once, and they were bad.

spavid said...

Sorry you won't be able to get that 45 minutes of your life back. Life's a bitch, ain't it?

Unknown said...

Funny. I bought the cassette at a garage sale when I was in high school, cuz I thought "Half a Chicken??? Whatever!" Ah, those crazy impulsive days. They are gone. Like cassettes.

Rotting Corpse A-Go-Go said...

Ah! damn to late I have been looking for a copy of this for ages. It was a tape that I picked up in a budget bin when I was like 16. Not the best but one of those just has a sentimental value cause you would listen to it when you were 16 :)

Steven said...

Produced by Bob Mould, cover art by Gary Panter. So much promise.

Rotting Corpse A-Go-Go said...

Any chance you would be willing to help me out with getting a hold of this? It would be much appriciated

kevinito said...

I have it on vinyl. You pay for shipping, it's yours.