Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mission of Burma - Electro-acoustic sessions (1980)

To coincide with the reissue of Mission of Burma's exemplary back catalog today, I thought I'd upload a collection of demos dubbed the "Electro-Acoustic Sessions," taking it's namesake from the studio they were recorded at in 1980, which you can read in greater detail about here. Some of these tracks have appeared on the Taang! Records MOB outtakes collections, Peking Spring and Forget, which I believe are still in print, and just as crucial as the band's Signals, Calls and Marches ep and Vs. LP. On this 17-song collection you will hear scalding hot early versions of numerous MOB classics-to-be, including "That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate," "...Revolver," "Academy Fight Song." The sound is a bit hissy, as it was obviously converted from a cassette. "Track 2" is glaringly omitted from the lineup, but considering this was procured from a file-sharing application, I have yet to find the song (whatever it may be) from another user. Enjoy (or not).

01 - Peking Spring
03 - OK No Way
04 - That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate
05 - Secrets
06 - Red
07 - Progress
08 - Max Ernst
09 - Academy Fight Song
10 - Nu Disco
11 - Forget
12 - This Is Not a Photograph
13 - That's When I Reach For My Revolver
14 - Execution
15 - Eyes of Men
16 - Fun World
17 - Head Over Head
18 - Einstein's Day

Hear

9 comments:

Zoe said...

Coooooooool.

Loudandnasty said...

Hello, kind blogger. I find it surprising that as respected as Mission of Burma have been for such a long time and as long as I've been listening to kick ass underground music that a) you and only one other I can find ever posted this seemingly important album, and b) that I'm just now getting around to learning of this band's greatness. If you can find it in your heart, and have the time, of course, a repost would be greatly appreciated. Cheers from San Francisco!

spavid said...

The link has been updated. You're welcome.

amusicalguy said...

The link doesn't work any longer!

mIKES said...

I think I cracked the code about "track #2" All other versions out in the wild have tracks 3 to 18 as 2 to 17. Since the majority of file sharing folks are clueless to curating ID3 tags, you're bound to have errors like this, no?

SParky said...

here is the correct listing for the song order

https://www.discogs.com/Mission-Of-Burma-LiveDemos/release/12355909https://www.discogs.com/Mission-Of-Burma-LiveDemos/release/12355909

The Lacemaker said...

Sorry to trouble you - any chance of a re-up?

mIKES said...

Heres a copy:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rl1Xq7XO23VRqPDiXghBejjWYkPi1hyg/view?usp=sharing

The Lacemaker said...

Amazing! Thank you so much!