Saturday, April 6, 2013

Buzzcocks - Drone Studio Sessions (1991)

In relatively uncharacteristic Wilfully Obscure fashion, tonight's "content" is being plucked straight from another blog - one which I'm not so sure is getting the attention it richly deserves to be honest.  Since the topic at hand warrants broader exposure I'm making an exception. To cut to the chase, this is a collection of demos the Buzzcocks cut in anticipation of what would be the first of several reunion albums in the '90s (and beyond) namely 1993's Trade Test Transmissions.  By any measure, TTT was hardly the logical successor to the Buzzcocks previous LP, A Different Kind of Tension.  A fourteen year gap between records and lineup alterations have a way of engendering that sort of "discrepancy," for lack of a better word, but these passionate, and frankly rawer interpretations often outdo the finished versions - "Isolation" and "Never Gonna Give Up," for starters.

Though it went largely unnoticed even by the most die-hard of Buzzcocks fans, an ep, Alive Tonight, quietly preceded Trade Test in 1991, with all four of it's titles ("Alive Tonight," "Serious Crime," "Last to Know," and "Successful Street") taken from these recordings.  Enjoy.

01. Never Gonna Give It Up
02. Serious Crime
03. Dreaming
04. Last to Know
05. Run Away From Home
06. Tranqualizer
07. Alive Tonight
08. When Love Turns Around
09. Isolation (end cuts)
10. Successful Street
11. Who'll Help Me to Forget
12. Why Compromise
13. Australia

Hear

8 comments:

Oxy said...

Nice post! Since this item was plucked from another blog, why not credit the blog by name? In any case, I missed that post, so my thanks to you for this one. The Buzzcocks never seemed to get the respect they really deserved, in my opinion.

I also have a request, if you don't mind. I'm guessing a fair amount of us would love a post (or two) regarding the last of The Donner Partys' output. As you know, it's a follow-up request - more of a friendly reminder.

Oxy said...

Sorry. Missed the link to the other blog.

spavid said...

I'll see about getting D/P up maybe around this time next week. Thanks for the reminder.

bglobe313 said...

Hi,

Thanks for the tip to Noise Addiction. It's not on my regular (near daily) rotation, but I check in there fairly frequently, and the site does post some content that (to me) is unique.

Re: Buzzcocks, I assume you've seen the "24 Hour Party People" movie. I thought it was great, and I'm not that into the whole scene it was about (originally typed as the whole "scent" it was about which might have been better!)

Thanks,

Ace K.

spavid said...

Believe it or not I never saw that film in it's entirety. Someday.

tim abdellah said...

Thank You Thank You Thank You! I've been trying to find this for years - I had a cassette copy back when it was new, but that went missing. I thought this tape was much better than the "Trade Test Transmissions" album that eventually followed. Can't wait to hear it again!

robgronotte said...

Netkups is dead! I mean all their links are gone, replaced by an FBI anti-piracy warning about a week ago! Boo!

Would love a repost of this one.

Unknown said...

Re-up, please?