Saturday, December 31, 2011

Various - 'Oly Cow! - the letter "O" folder mix

Well, it looks like you'll have to wait another day for me to get off my lazy duff and compile my best-ofs album list for 2011.  In the meantime I hope this self-curated mix will tide you over.  Adhering to the same theme as my "H" and "P" folder mixes from a few months back, this sixteen song collection of disparate artists have only one thing in common - the first letter of their respective monikers.  For almost every complete album I have by an artist on my hard drive, I store just as many random one-off songs by artists I don't have a dedicated folder to.  These random one-offs have been corralled into "letter folders" A through Z.  As was the case with the two previous entries I'm not going to publish the track list, but I will give away a few spoilers. 

Often the letter folders are heavy on cover versions, and there are no less six in this set, including okgo's live take on Elvis Costello's "Oliver's Army," an acoustic rendition of Weezer's cult classic "Across the Sea" by Ozma, and the Ohio State University Marching Band tackling "The Final Countdown."  There are Love and Beach Boys covers in there as well, but I shan't give away who does those.  You'll also find my favorite Optiganally Yours tune, a rarity from ON (Ken Andrews post-Failure project), a keeper from jangly, post-punk revivalists The Oranges Band, Sloan incognito (you guess the song!), and even a vintage 1982 interview with Ozzy Osbourne, circa the "bat" incident.  Enjoy (or not).

Hear

1 comment:

Marc said...

Enjoy (DID!)

"The taste of bats is very salty." Now we know.

Please continue the letter mixes, there have been lots of gems in them. Thanks.

Marc