Friday, April 11, 2008

Sour Landslide - They Promised Us Jobs (1997)

Toronto's Sour Landslide were one of many bands I discovered on a barn-burning, mid-90s compilation of Canadian bands called Popcan, perhaps a subject of investigation for a later post, but as always, I digress.

The two boy, one girl trio swiped their moniker from an REM lyric (in "Moral Kiosk" from Murmur to be exact). While their debut, Friends of Dracula utterly failed to do Sour Landslide justice, they made amends with the exponentially more satisfying They Promised Us Jobs in 1997. Akin to Shoes (the band) on a serious Nirvana kick, SL had their hooks and hearts in all the right places. Vince Nicholson's buzzing guitar salvos and melodic paeans to post-academic life, not to mention an array of romantic conundrums, dovetailed seamlessly with Landslide's crack rhythm section, occupied by bassist Vern Nicholson and skins-woman, Dee Gorvath. "Guns of Navarone," "Pop Knows a Weasel," and the more subdued "Hired Goons" are just three of fourteen exemplary selections, comprising a rather inconspicuous power-pop stunner that isn't likely to gain any further recognition - outside of Wilfully Obscure of course.
 
01. Human Rain Delay
02. Houdini
03. Star Search
04. Don't Call Me Stupid
05. Ghost Story
06. You Killed My Son
07. Guns of Navarone
08. Fuckin' Freak
09. Pop Knows a Weasel
10. Congratulations
11. Get To Know Me
12. Lenny
13. Hired Goons
14. Hero vs. Heroine
 

15 comments:

bglobe313 said...

If this is half as good as your description indicates, it will be a memorable find.

Thanks in advance.

acresofbears said...

Wow! I can't believe I missed out on these guys until now. Thanks!

bglobe313 said...

Well, I have now listened to the first three tracks, and I am very pleased. The first one (Human Rain Delay) is fantastic. I am always amazed when I find out about more great music.

Let's see if the rest of the album holds up.

sksears said...

Vince Nicholson, singer-songwriter for Sour Landslide, also released a great solo record, Haunted. Sour Landslide still has a web presence. The URL is http://www.pathcom.com/~sourlnd/oldhome.htm>.

Residents Of Ward 12 said...

Thanks for the kind words, please check out the newest band for Dee and myself at http://www.myspace.com/thebenvereens

Regards,

Vince

Bruce K. said...

Hi,

I know I have/had this somewhere, but I can't find it. So, if you could re-up it would be hugely appreciated. Been thinking about that song "Ghost Story" which (if it's the one I'm pretty sure it is) is a really amazing track.

Thanks. (And OK if it's too much of a hassle to re-up, as I KNOW I have it somewhere, probably misfiled.)

Bruce K. said...

UPDATE: No need to re-up for me. I was so obsessed by my need to hear "Ghost Story" that I dug through my "archives" and found where I had (in)conveniently put this recording.

I have very much enjoyed re-visiting their record. Singer quite resembles one of the guys in The Shoes.

Thanks.

Bruce K. said...

In what appears to be an annual occurrence I seem to have (again) lost my copy of this recording. So, if you can re-up it, that would be appreciated (or if you want to tell me not to be so sloppy with my filing, that would be understood).

spavid said...

The link has been updated.

Unknown said...

Does anyone have a copy of "Friends of Dracula"? Had this record 20 years ago and would really love to hear it again!

spavid said...

I think I still have a copy of Friends... Will try to get it up soon.

Unknown said...

That'd be great, thanks! :) I've been looking for that one for a long time!

Unknown said...

Friends of Dracula was fantastic. Always loved playing with you guys - Rosewafd Foundation.

Unknown said...

Friends of Dracula was fantastic. Always loved playing with you guys - Rosewafd Foundation.

GlycerineCrossfade said...

I know I'm more than a decade late, but would there be any possibility of you uploading the Popcan compilation CD if you still have it?